Monday, December 24, 2007

Greensburg's Famous Tower Tree
(and Erdmann Family Tree?)

Ed and I were returning home from Cincinnati along I-74 and impulsively decided to exit at the Greensburg, Indiana exit to take a peek at their famous tree that grows out of the top of their courthouse tower.

For those who are unaware of this phenomena, the first tree sprout appeared in the early 1870s and its descendant presently grows majestically from an opening in the tower. Historical details are available at this "website". Pay special attention to the last paragraph where it describes the theory as to how the tree is watered! ;>

The square is amazing. It is two or three times the size of Lebanon's square and FULL of businesses. Yes, you have offices of attorneys and title companies, but there were craft supply stores, hardware stores, etc. that were BUSY! It seems rare nowadays to have the traditional courthouse square that is ALIVE. Some day, I would like to return just to shop.

THEN, we parked on the east side of the square and, as we got out of our car, I looked up to see our last name, "Erdmann", featured on top of one of the buildings. It was eery! I couldn't' help myself. I entered an attorney's office and explained my curiosity. The staff was wonderful in referring me to the county's genealogist, Mr. Russell Wilhoit.

I located his email address and wrote him to inquire the origin of the Erdmann family. He was wonderful! Immediately, he compiled some photocopies of obituaries of the Erdmann family revealing that Charles Erdmann was originally from Switzerland and came to Greensburg from Cincinnati. He opened a cigar factory that was called C. E. Erdmann & Sons. One of the sons was George E. Erdmann whose name is featured on the building that hosted their business. George's son, Morris, moved to Hammond, Indiana and I can't help but wonder if Ed's family originated from there. We'll definitely have to pursue it one day.

In any case, one never knows where an unplanned adventure may lead them. We began searching for a tree and may have found a family tree at the same time!

If time allows, always be willing to turn off the main road to see where a road less traveled may take you!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As a native of G'burg now living in Carmel I cannot help but wonder if during your visit did anyone tell you how that tree way up in that clock tower gets its water? If you are interested, I am at seeray@sbcglobal.net

Unknown said...

Hi! Just read your blog. My Father, Robert L Erdmann was born (1904) in Greensburg. His father was George Ernst Erdmann. My Dad had 2 brothers: Morris & Holden.
My father always had a postcard photo of that building with the tree growing from it on his dresser. I visited the Swiss town, Fraunfelt, I think it was, where my Dad's grandfather originally made Cigars.
My Brother, Charles Erdmann came across your blog.

Unknown said...

I think your husband Ed and I must be cousins of one kind or another. My father, George Ernst Erdmann (1921 - 1983) was the son of Morris Erdmann. I was born in Hammond while my father and mother (Susanne, nee Decker: 1919-1984) lived with my grandparents, Morris and Gwendolyn. My grandfather Morris talked about Holden frequently.

My father's brother's (James Erdmann) daughter is extremely interested in researching the family tree. If you are interested in getting in touch with her, send me an email and I'll give you her contact information.

How cool to find a bunch of Erdmanns while searching for something totally unrelated!

Molly Erdmann Shomer