Friday, May 11, 2007

Two Days AND ITS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. Sunday is the day. It still hasn't quite sunk in.

I first went to Indiana University straight out of high school in 1977. During my tme there, I was frustrated in that I could not decide "what I wanted to do when I grew up" and, thus, could not decide upon a major. I decided to seek my fortune one-and-a-half years later and left school. Over the next two decades, I evolved into the occupation of travel consultant and meeting planner - an occupation that wasn't officially acknowledged by the Department of Labor until 1989!

In that time, I also realized that I needed the "paper" to be able to perform at the level for which I was qualified. In 1999, I drew in a deep breath and called Indiana University located in downtown Indianapolis to inquire about their new Bachelor of Science degree program for Tourism, Conventions and Event Management. I spoke with a true angel in the name of Dr. Linda Brothers. She informed me about the development of the program and encouraged me to enroll which I eventually did and I began classes in 2000.

Over the past seven years, I have attended classes on a part-time basis while also working a full-time job. There were many times that I thought I would never reach the end but my beloved Ed and my friends kept cheering me on. Now, in just two days, I will switch the tassel on the floor of the RCA Dome in downtown Indianapolis and accept my Bachelor of Science degree from the Dean of our school.

Lessons learned? (1) Kids, GET THE PAPER! (2) It IS possible!

No comments: